First and fourth periods, having gone quickly yesterday over introductions, took the time today to look at the five steps they’ll be taking during next Tuesday’s PASS writing test:
- Narrow topic to one specific event (use either brainstorming or freewriting)
- Schaffer planning (plan the two body paragraphs using the altered models)
- Write intro (focus on the narrowed topic from the first step)
- First draft (focus on checking that the length will fit the provided space in the test and that there are no grammar and spelling issues)
- Final draft (focus on neat appearance)
Afterward, we worked on steps one and two for the following topic:
Many people influence us. Sometimes they introduce us to a new interest or hobby, or sometimes they affect our views on things. Write about someone who has had a significant influence on you.
Second and fourth periods used the same topic to practice steps one as two as well.
- English 8 Strategies: complete planning and first draft of the topic provided today (see above).
- English I Honors: complete planning and first draft of the topic provided today (this will be due Thursday);