According to the MLA stylesheet, writers should follow these guidelines in formatting their papers:
- Type your paper on a computer and print it out on standard, white 8.5 x 11-inch paper.
- Double-space the text of your paper, and use a readable font (e.g. Times New Roman) that is 12 pt. Do not use fonts like Jokerman or Comic Sans. These may look “cool” but they’re unprofessional and difficult to read. (Don’t argue this point.) (If you don’t know how to double-space, do a quick bit of web research on the topic.)
- Make sure you have a single space after periods or other punctuation marks.
- Make sure the margins of your document to 1 inch on all sides. (Use this resource if you don’t know how.)
- Indent the first line of paragraphs one half inch from the left margin. Hitting the “Tab” key is the easiest way to do this.