Research Questions and Racism
First and fifth periods continued the research project. We went over the reseach guide and then turned to research questions in preparation for delving into the collected sources.
Second and fourth periods went over one of the controversies of To Kill a Mockingbird, which is the text’s use of the ethnic slur used to describe African American characters in the novel. We examined Atticus’s instructions to Scout not to use the word because it’s “common.” In groups, students wrote about and discussed whether or not they agree with his reason for not using offensive language.
- First and fifth periods: none.
- Second and fourth periods:
- read chapters 9-11 in To Kill a Mockingbird;
- complete the first forum discussion question;
- continue working the Romeo and Juliet project due Monday.